Infant consumed mouthwash. Is it harmful?

My 1 year old swallowed about 5ml of magic mouthwash. what can I do? is that toxic?
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 18 minutes later
Thank you for query.

Its unlikely that your baby will have any side effects that you need to worry about. Magic mouthwash is not suitable for children <8 years due to tetracycline which makes bones weaker in children. However, that is long term usage. I do not think there's going to be a problem here.
However, if your mouthwash has lidocaine, it can impair the gag reflex. So make sure your child is ok after he/she eats something. Typically, the effects should wear off in a few hours.
The mouthwash is not toxic but is not approved for such young children.
I hope that answers your concern.
Thank you.