Infant bruised near rib cage, noticed a movable lump, reddish. Worry over it?

My two year old son (one of a pair of twins born at 31 weeks gestation) recently tripped and fell while playing (Thursday evening). He landed on top of the Fisher Price Little People manger they had received for Christmas. I think that he may have landed on the star on top which is hard plastic and pointed (blunt but pointed). I noticed a nickle or maybe a little larger size bruise the next morning. It was located in the area right below his ribs on his right side. It didn't look bad and when i touched and pressed on it he continued to play with his toy and did not seem to be in any discomfort. Yesterday (about 24 hours after I first noticed the bruise I noticed a small movable lump under the skin that was not there before. It does not hurt him when I touch it or press on it. The skin directly above the bump is slightly different in color than the rest of the bruise...a little reddish in appearance. He has no other symptoms. He is happy and playing. He is running all over the house and climbing on the couch (ie does not seem sore). Is this something that needs to be seen by his pediatrician. I am a worried Mom. I guess do to their prematurity and multiple issues following birth. They are now in the 78 and 86% for height and weight and doing well but I am still very cautious with them.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later

Your son fell on a sharp plastic star and bruised himself below his ribs on the right side and 24 hours later you noticed he had developed a small movable lump under the bruise.

I think the small lump is a 'hematoma' that is a collection of blood, and it should resolve by itself in a few days. It has nothing to do with their being premature. However if it persists without reducing in size beyond a week, do show it to your paediatrician.

Hope this answers your query. If this answers your query satisfactorily and do not have any further queries, do indicate it by accepting this answer. If you have any additional concerns, I am available to address them.

Follow-up: Infant bruised near rib cage, noticed a movable lump, reddish. Worry over it? 26 minutes later
Is there anything that I can do help speed healing such as warm baths or holding a warm moist compress on the area etc?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 minutes later
Thanks for reverting.
Since 48 hours have passed, warm moist compress twice a day will help to speed up dissolving of the hematoma. Further, you should try and rest the affected area. It would also be beneficial if you keep the area elevated.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.