Infant born with lump on the scalp. Change in shape of lump recently. Should be concerned?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
my 10 month old girl was born with a lentil shape and sized lump on her head under the skin, it had remained the same shape and size for sometime I checked it this morning, it is now the shape and size of a XXXXXXX n ike.. is this something we should worry about and have checked out and if so what are the possiblities
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

A subcutaneous swelling on the head can be :
1] A dermoid cyst
2] A wart
3] A sebaceous cyst in the hairy area

Does it bleed ?
Is the skin over it normal?
Is there any discharge?

Revert back with the information and I will be able to help you in a better manner

Follow-up: Infant born with lump on the scalp. Change in shape of lump recently. Should be concerned? 13 minutes later
she was born wih it just a little lentil shape and size little bump hard immovable under her scalp. THe skin over it is normal color and feel no holes or openings it is just a hard bump the pediatrician had said not to worry about it, there was a mention of calcium i think at some point, it has stayed the same shape and size until this last week it is now the size and shape as a XXXXXXX and Ike, more pronounced, now oval (or long like a capsule) and broader. color still the same no openings no leakage hard and doesnt move. She has preferred, since birth to sleep on the other side of her head and will still avoid sleeping on that side, there is much more hair but i feel it as often as i can to guage that it stay the same...

the change in size and shape is new not the location or the presence of it
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 minutes later

Thanks for your followup

The information provided doesn't give any cause of concern

Yet to come to a diagnosis it is always better to examine the patient

This is the limitation of online forum, but you can help me help you by uploading an image of the same

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept this reply and rate it

Wishing Your Daughter A Speedy Recovery