Indigestion, short of breath and loss of appetite. Diagnosed with GERD. Suggest medication

I am a 53 year old male in good health. A month ago I started having indigestion and a constrant gurgling stomach, short of breath and a loss of appetitie. Since then I have trouble sleeping and have lost a significant amount of weight (15 pounds). My voice is also hoarse.
I have had several tests that all came back negative: Catscan of abdomin, ultrasound of abdomin, chest xray, blood tests. I have been diagnosed with GERD.
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medications, Life style modifications.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX

I went through your query and understand the concern.

1. Since suffering from GERD and hoarse voice, you need to take Proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole, rabeprazole etc with anti emetic like ondansetron and prokinetic drug for reducing your symptoms (continuously for at least 7-10 days). Taking sucralfate syrup three times a day will help in protecting the gastric mucosa.

2. You need to take plenty of fluids, vegetables and fruits, have proper diet control. Avoid spices, oily food and fast food. Eat smaller but more frequent meals. Never let your stomach be empty. Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol and smoking totally and be relaxed.

3. You should not sleep immediately after meals. Keep engaged in some light work at least for an hour after meal. Walking for 10min after meals will help you. Keep the head end of your bed elevated.

These measures will help you. Also have regular follow up with your doctor.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.

Wish you a very happy life and good health.