Indigestion, nausea, acidity and bloating. Are the symptoms due to stress?

I'm a 43 year old woman, generally in very good health, non-smoker and non-drinker. For the last week I have been experiencing awful indigestion, feeling nauseous, especially when hungry, but haven't really felt like food. The indigestion "gurgles" in my throat and feels acidy. I'm not pregnant. Should I be seeing the doc? I've felt bloated but this comes and goes, my stomach is flat in the morning. This came on really suddenly and I haven't had the problem before. Very stressed at work at the moment, wondered if this adds to problem?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

By your description I feel you could be suffering from an irritation of the stomach which is generally caused by an increased production of gastric acid and reflux(regurgitation).

It is most commonly caused by

1. Irregular eating habits
2. Stress (as you have mentioned)
3. Alcohol, smoking
4. Food poisoning
5. Post surgery, trauma, etc

What I would like you to do is.

1. Eat regularly and on time. Eating at short intervals helps.
2. Avoid spicy food.
3. Avoid milk and milk products like cheese, butter until this gets better.
4. Avoid coffee and tea on an empty stomach and restrict yourself to not more than two cups a day. It would be best if you completely avoid it until you get better.
5. Tablets like pantoprazole with domperidone will be prescribed for such conditions, please XXXXXXX your doctor for the prescription.
6. Make it a point to be awake and in a sitting posture atleast for 2 hours after meals. This will prevent the gurgles in your throat.

The above points will certainly help, if the symptoms worsen please XXXXXXX your doctor.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health