Indigestion, headache, chest pain, back pain, pain in arm. Taking Losec, Gavestron, Quick-ease. Done blood tests

My husband has started having fairly regular indigestion attacks which are quite severe over the past year. He is 63 yrs old. We had quite a stressful year last year and my husband has been working very hard at the same time. He is also a fairly heavy smoker and he does drink red wine with his meals most nights. He's not overweight, being about 85 kg's and is 6'1" tall. He has been to a doctor and had blood tests taken, but as yet not got the results. The attacks seem to occur around 5am and we found that toast seems to relieve it. Products such as gavestron and quick-ease don't seem to help. A glass of milk sometimes helps, but not every time.
The attacks can last for about an hour and he seems to be in a lot of pain. The pain gives him a headache, pain in the chest and back and down his arm and hand. The past month he's been taking a product called Losec and these seem to have made the regularity decline.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Based on the description, I think your husband might be suffering from Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this condition stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach) causing irritation of the esophagus, heart burn, pain and headache.

He will need proton pump inhibitors for a week or two. Omeprazole (Losec) can be taken once a day before breakfast. Continue with the pill.

In addition, he also needs some strict life style modification like-

Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
Stop smoking and taking alcohol.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.
Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal.
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Indigestion, headache, chest pain, back pain, pain in arm. Taking Losec, Gavestron, Quick-ease. Done blood tests 2 days later
Can you tell me what a proton pump inhibitor is please?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Losec- omeprazole that your husband is taking is one of the proton pump inhibitors. He needs to continue with it for at least three weeks for full relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.