Indentation above ankle, no bruiseness or redness, tender to touch. What could be this?

I woke up this morning with a 3-4" indentation just above my ankle but there is no sign of any bruising or redness but is a little tender when I touch it
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 31 minutes later

Thank you for writing in.

I assume that till now your physical examination and serum biochemistry had been normal. Please correct me if I am wrong. Therefore, first thing comes to mind when you talk of swelling (causing indentation) and pain (tenderness for some) is gout. My question is does this description fits you? "The small joint at the base of the big toe is the most common site of an acute gout attack of arthritis. An acute attack of gouty arthritis at the base of the big toe is medically referred to as podagra. Other joints that are commonly affected include the ankles, knees, wrists, fingers, and elbows. Acute gout attacks are characterized by a rapid onset of pain in the affected joint followed by warmth, swelling, reddish discoloration, and marked tenderness. Tenderness can be intense so that even a blanket touching the skin over the affected joint can be unbearable. One can develop fever with the acute gout attacks. These painful attacks usually subside in hours to days, with or without medication."

Other causes of swelling of one side ankle joint are XXXXXXX venous thrombosis where swelling would have been more and tenderness will be marked in calves. Swelling of both feet which is not there would have made me think of heart illness, liver disease or kidney disease. Therefore, my suggestion is take an appointment with your general physician and get yourself examined and some diagnostic tests undertaken.

Within a few hours we will have the diagnosis and treatment can be planned.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover