Increasing swelling and redness over the bee bite area which seems to be spreading. When should I take medicine?

Two nights ago I was bit by a bee. Today I noticed swelling and redness around the area that continues to grow. A trip to urgent care got me a script for prednisone, the doc said he didn't think I would need it but to take it if I thought it would help. The swelling is still spreading (on my leg) and is now bigger than the size of my hand and I was wondering when I should decide if I need to take the med or not? I am a nursing mama and also traveling tomorrow so I just don't know what to do........ I also have really bad anxiety so I may be making more of this than I should. The doc seemed to be against using meds cause he kept emphasizing that it wouldn't stop the bug venom. My questions seem to mostly be: 1)will taking the prednisone relieve this swelling and redness that seems to keep growing? 2) is it safe to take as I am nursing?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 28 minutes later

I understand your concern and hope I am able to help you for the same

Now I understand that since you are a nursing mother, so you are quite apprehensive about taking the medicines. However, from your description, I can understand that the lesion of vector dermatitis (insect bite) is now increasing in size. Usually in cases of vector dermatitis, if the redness and itching is very less, then we do not need to use any oral medicines. In most cases, the lesions resolve of their own, in some cases only topical medicines in the form of steroid -antibiotics application helps. But in your case, the lesion is progressively increasing. So I would recommend that you should start with a short course of steroids ( prednisone). It will help in decreasing the redness and itching and will prevent the further spread of the lesion. Only a short tapering course over 4-5 days will be good for you.
Sometimes if there is any associated pain, then this can be a sign of superadded infection. Make sure that the lesion is not tender/ painful in nature. If it is so, then you might need a short course of antibiotics along.
You may in addition take oral antihistamines like loratidine to relieve the itching.
And I can assure you that both prednisone and loratidine are safe in nursing.

Hope it helps

If there is any other any query, please let me know

Dr Geetika Paul