Increasing and fading red bumps on skin, skin discoloration. What could be the reason and treatment?

I am a 31 yr old M, 5'10" 150. I have recently noticed red bumps on my skin that seem to be increasing in number. The do not itch and sometimes appear in clusters. After appearing they begin to fade away until there is discoloration of the skin (lighter then surrounding skin surface). Any clue as to condition, cause and cure?
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Based on your description I consider the lesions you mention as grouped pappules.Such lesions are commonly seen due to contact dermatitis either by a daily usable fomite or by newly encountered chemical.

I would like to have a look on the lesion to be specific in my opinion .Please do attach a image of the lesions and after the lesions here so that I can understand the condition better after looking at them.

Anticipating your response,
Follow-up: Increasing and fading red bumps on skin, skin discoloration. What could be the reason and treatment? 18 hours later
As requested I have uploaded two photos of the marks. Please advice further.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Thanks for the images.

After having a look at the images I suspect them to be due to a systemic condition rather than a specific condition.

If the lesions are seen very recently say within a week and are disappearing within a week then the chances of them to be due to viral origin is more.Such lesions are self limiting and do not need any treatment unless they are leaving any marks behind.Applying Calamine lotion will prevent any scars or marks after the disappearance of the lesions.

Also condition like sarcoidosis has to be ruled as rarely such lesions can be seen in the disease.

Do get examined by a XXXXXXX medicine specialist to rule out underlying conditions which can present with such lesions.

Wish you good health.