Ask a Urologist   »  

Increased urine frequency and pain while urination. Should I consult a urologist?

Question
Hi, I feel like Urinating all the time. After searching in the internet, i have to consult an urologist for some medicines.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

As I believe that more information can help a physician help a person better, please do not mind in answering the following:

1. How many times are you urinating in a day? Do you need to go in the night as well?
2. Are there changes in the color of your urine?
3. Do you have pain, discomfort or a burning sensation while urinating?
4. Do you have other symptoms like increased thirst, weight loss, fever, back pain?

There are many causes for increased frequency of urination like:
1. Urinary tract infection
2. Diabetes
3. Diuretics (Medications used to treat high blood pressure)
4. Interstitial cystitis
5. Neurological diseases (Damage to nerves that supply the bladder)
6. Other common causes like overactive bladder syndrome, artificial sweeteners, alcohol and caffeine.
7. Rarely Bladder cancer (An extremely unlikely cause in your case)

I would suggest that you consult your primary care physicians who can then prescribe the following investigations depending on the examination findings
1. Urinalysis and urine culture
2. Ultrasonography of the kidney-ureter-bladder region
3. Cystometry: This test measures the flow and pressure inside the bladder .
4. Neurological tests: Diagnostic tests such as urodynamics, imaging, EEG(electroencephalogram), and EMG(electromyography) .

Meanwhile you can try the following remedies:

1. Avoid foods that appear to irritate your bladder like caffeine, alcohol, carbonated drinks, artificial sweeteners, chocolate, and spicy foods.
2. If you have a burning sensation while urinating, increase the intake of water and take plenty of cranberry juice.
3. Kegels exercise-These exercises help strengthen the muscles which can help you voluntarily stop and restart the flow of urine. Toning these muscles can help improve bladder control and reduce urinary urgency and frequency. Squeeze the muscles (you’ll have to contract as if you’re holding on to the urge to urinate) for three seconds, then relax for three seconds. Repeat 10 to 15 times per session, and do this at least three times a day.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Increased urine frequency and pain while urination. Should I consult a urologist? 1 hour later
I feel like urinating all the time when i am awake, even immediately after i complete my urination. But when i go for urinating there is no urine left to out it. It is just a small pain kind of feeling i have all the time. In the sleep i woke up once for urinating and i will do it comfortably. No Issues when i am sleeping, only when i wake up i feel it all the time.

i don't see much changes its as usual in color.
i don't have much pain while urinating (may be there is no big noticeable pain when compared with my always paining for urination).
No symptoms of any of the above

Also to give you an additional information, this feeling started for me, the next day after i had alcohol and cigarette. Actually i am not a regular smoker or drinker. But i dot it occasionally, weekly once or two weeks once.

Please try to specify some temporary medicine (antibiotic) to get me out of this feeling. I am unable to work comfortably due to this problem. If in case your medicine doesn't work i will surely consult my physician.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 15 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

You are experiencing increased urinary frequency and pain while urinating. There is probability of it being due to Urine routine and culture examination. It would be unethical and inappropriate to prescribe you scheduled drugs without doing a proper examination. After examination and test reports the appropriate medication can be given.

Also drink more fluids, at least 7 to 8 glasses per day. You can use Citralka syrup 2 tsp in a glass of water in the night for 1 week too.