Increased the intake of adavir. Having a rasp and hoarse voice. Suggest a solution?

I have been taking XXXXXXX twice a day and Spiriva once a day. The Advair has recently been raised from 100/50 to 250/50. I lecture at a local college and my voice has suddenly become quite raspy & hoarse to the point where I am fearful that in this next semester I will be unable to teach. I love doing it, perhaps because I have been an adjunct for 50 years. Also, would it help if I took the Spiriva several hours later than the Advair? In the morning I have been taking them within minutes of each other.

XXXX - Fair Oaks, CA
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to rule out infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is likely that it is more the advair that the spiriva that is causing the hoarseness.

Though spiriva can cause hoarseness, it occurs in approximately in 3% of persons using the medication.

Placing an interval between the medication may be helpful. It is also advised that persons gargle after using these medications to reduce any inflammation.

There have been rare instances of advair inducing fungal infection of the larynx which is actually the reason the person experiences progressive hoarseness.
When this infection is treated the voice recovers.

You may want to consider visiting your ENT doctor to rule out infection of the larynx.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions