Increased sensitivity to sound, smell, taste and dizziness. Have diabetes, high BP, asthma. Taking Metformin, Simvastatin. Reason?

For the past 6 months I have had an increased sensitivity to sound, smell and taste. I also feel dizzy when I stand up. I am a diabetic with high blood pressure and I have asthma. I am currently on a special diet and exercise program to keep it under control. I looked up the side affects of the meds I take but did not find those particular affects. I take metformin, simvastatin, and XXXXXXX I also take omeprazole to diminish a cough that I was told was caused by stomach acid. My doctor and I thought it was menopausal but did not find that to be true. I had a car accident in 2005 and suffered a severe double whip lash witch lead to physical therapy for a year.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Thanks for writing your concern here on XXXXXXX

I went through your details with diligence. You report that you are sensitive to sound, smell and taste for the last 6 months. You also feel dizzy when you stand up. Based on these symptoms, I have a couple of possibilities:

1. Dizziness that is noticed on standing up may be due to orthostatic hypotension - here there is a sudden drop in blood pressure upon standing. This drop may be due to autonomic neuropathy which is commonly seen in diabetic and hypertensive individuals. You will need to get your blood pressure recorded in lying down and standing posture, apart from reviewing your blood sugar level. Your treating doctor can help you with these tests.

2. Human ear, nose, throat are all cross connected both structurally and neurologically. Therefore very often when there is a problem with one particular region here, other areas are also likely to be disturbed. Due to this fact, I think the increased sensitivity to sound, smell and taste are linked together.
You listed that you have yellow thick mucous development in the throat after food; I wonder if this might be due to a pre-existing sinus or throat inflammation. I think it would be worthwhile to review with your ENT surgeon and get this doubt cleared.

Whiplash injuries that cause cervical injury may contribute to dizziness. Without an opportunity to review your accident reports, I might not be able to relate it now.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.