Increased heartbeat, weakness, breathlessness, heavy chest.

I am waking up in the middle of the night with a racing and pounding heart. This is what actually wakes me up. Last night, it happened...woke me up...heart racing and rhythm was very strange...I was very weak...difficult to function normally...short of breath...chest a little was very uncomfortable and nothing relieved it but time. This scares me. I feel as if maybe I am about to have a heart attack. This happened for a few months last year then subsided. It has started again and is way worse this time.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

I would like to know more about the condition in order to suggest you better.

1. What is your height and weight? Are you under stress lately or having nightmares?
2. Do you consume coffee/tea late in the evenings?
3. Does the racing subside on its own? Once it subsides do you feel like urinating?
4. During the episode do your sweat? Have dizziness?
5. How long does it last?
6. When was the last time you got an ECG/ECHO done and your last visit to the doctor?
7. Any history of thyroid disorder in the family? If no, then do you have heat intolerance, irregular periods, loss of hair lately?

I would like you to answer these questions in order to narrow down to possibilities. Please get back to me with the answers, I am awaiting your reply.

I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Increased heartbeat, weakness, breathlessness, heavy chest. 44 minutes later

1. I am 5' 6" and weigh around 180 lbs.

2. I probably have my last caffeine around 6 pm

3. The racing does subside on its own. I have found the only thing to stop it is to relax and work through it. No urination feeling afterwards.

4. I don't sweat and have some dizziness. I am ususally very weak and short of breath though.

5. When they first started, they would last about 5-10 minutes. The one I had last night was worse than ever lasting around 30 minutes and with more symptoms.

6. I haven't had a ECG or ECHO ever I think. I did have a EKG about 6 months ago and all showed normal. Doctor wanted me to wear a holter monitor and I never went to the hospital to pick it up.

7. My father has hypthyroidism. Intolerance to heat? Well, I am cold alot but have an occasional moment of being over heated and that happens more at night. Doesn't happen often though. My period are fairly regular but I do have a short cycle around 21-23 days. Yes, I have been losing some hair lately.

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 31 minutes later

Thanks for replying

You have told us that racing of the heart comes during the night and subsides on its on usually for 5 min but last night was about 30 min and it's associated with shortness of breath

It looks like you are suffering from palpitations at night most likely caused by an arrhythmia. Arrhythmias are basically rhythm disturbances of the heart. I would advise you to please see a cardiologist as soon as posiible and and it is of serious concern.

Please do get a Holter monitoring done.

Thyroid disorders especially hyperthyroidism is known to cause arrhythmias so please get a thyroid profile done as well more so because you have a family history of thyroid disorders

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries

I wish you good health