Increased heartbeat, feeling faint, difficulty breathing. Earlier blood work normal. Panic attack?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Hi less than two weeks ago I had to go to the hospital due to my heart racing and feeling faint. I had bloodwork done and was hooked up to a heart monitor for a few hours and they did a paper reading too. Everything was fine. The doctor felt it was a combination of factors such as heat stress etc... However when I was in the gym yesterday the same symptoms arose.. Very fast heart and feeling like I couldn't breath and wanting to faint.. I'm wondering if I need to go back and be checked out again or if it was some sort of panic attack as everyone keeps telling me it is and to just calm down..
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you mention more about your ;-
1. Job profile.
2. Sleeping habits.

After reading your post, it seems that your symptoms are more in favour of panic attack.

Still you should seek medical attention and get following investigations done :-
1. Echocardiography.
2. Complete Thyroid profile.
3. Lipid profile.
4. Serum electrolytes.

You should also go for a 24 hours Holter monitoring.
Use a cardiac event recorder for at least a week to send the ECG recordings to the centre whenever you feel the symptoms.

Doing yoga and meditation will be beneficial.
Try to lead your life in a positive way.

Daily aerobic exercises in fresh air in the morning will be beneficial too.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Increased heartbeat, feeling faint, difficulty breathing. Earlier blood work normal. Panic attack? 11 minutes later
I have started a new job which is more stressfull but i sleep fine. When i was last in the hospital the doctor checked my thyroid but said it was fine and had an ecg machine conected to me to keep track of my heart rate but again said it was beating fast but it was still in rhythm and when i was resting my heart rate would drop to the 80 XXXXXXX Because my heart felt so fast to me in the gym triggering how i felt in the hospital it was very scary. I do think your right however and should get this investigated further
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 16 minutes later
Thanks for providing more information.

After reading your response, I would like to advise you that you should follow the advice mentioned earlier regarding investigations and changes in lifestyle.

Medical management can be planned according to reports of the above mentioned investigations.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any doubts, please mention.