Increased heart rate while lying down. Had sinus tachycardia. Causes?

fast heart rate when laying down 180 for 3 hours
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
A normal adult's pulse can be anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. Anything over 100 is defined as a tachycardia.
A few possibilities which need to be ruled out include:
1) Anxiety and stress
2) Anemia
3) Hyperthyroidism
4) Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia
5) Heart disorders

I suggest you to get it examined from a physician and get your Hb levels, thyroid function tests and an EKG and stress ECHO done. An ECHO is needed to check out the recent functioning of the heart.
This problem needs a medical attention and you must proceed for the required investigations early.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Increased heart rate while lying down. Had sinus tachycardia. Causes? 44 minutes later
i have sinis tacky had stress test and 20 ekg its been 4 years and getting worst today went to er with hr 140 for 5 hours after taking atenolol and ativan before it came back to 90 was dizzy and fuzzy seeing
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You had sinus tachycardia earlier. Now the associated symptoms of dizziness and blurred vision are worrisome.
Since I do not have all the details and a privilege to examine you my assessment is severely limited.
I encourage you to consult your physician for proper evaluation.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery
Follow-up: Increased heart rate while lying down. Had sinus tachycardia. Causes? 18 minutes later
what do you need to know
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
Hello again,

For proper diagnosis I need to auscultate if the heart beat is irregular, your blood pressure, an EKG to see any rhythm disturbances, etc. These things do need a proper and detailed physical examination.

Meanwhile you can try to relieve your anxiety by doing some relaxation exercises, XXXXXXX breathing exercises and yoga and see if helps in improvement of your symptoms.

Kindly visit your physician for a detailed check up.