Increased heart rate, shortness of breath, pain in side of head. What does that mean?

Sometimes my heart will speed up and I will get shortness of breathe and then it will go back to normal, but yesterday this happen and I started having sharp pains on my right side of my head. What does that mean?
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 2 hours later

See sometimes getting palpitations, tachycardia along with shortness of breath all these can be explained by anxiety neurosis. Though its very important to exclude heart causes like sinus tachycardia, valvular disorder specially mitral valve prolapse syndrome and obvious thyroid problems mainly hyperthyroidism with toxic features.

So to cut off your anxiety you may try yoga, meditation. If that does not help, please see a therapist and a psychiatrist as well. You may need some anti-anxiety medication.

From cardiological and thyroid point of view I will advice to go for the following tests:
1. ECG,
2. TMT,
3. Echocardiography,
4. FT4 and TSH
You must consult your doctor and take a opinion from him and do the tests i prescribed. I think you will get some clue by doing these tests.

You can upload the reports here. If you have further queries you please write me back freely. I am always here to help you.

God bless you.

Dr Arnab Maji