Increased heart rate, red itchy patches on palms and soles of feet. How to get rid of this?

Feb 2013

Hello Doctor. I'm a male 39years old. My symptoms are, red patches on palms and souls of feet that have a itchy, burning feeling. And if I itch, scratch or disturb them they get worse and swell even more. they seem to flare up late in the evening and night time. These symptoms started lightly 4 months ago and progressively got worse with intensity and happening now all the time. I've never had allergies before. I have been under stress in that time. Also 10-12 months ago I started having palpitations at night time in the first few hours of sleep, it wasn't every night but slowly its increased and in the last few weeks its been a flip flop feeling that sometimes feels like it stopped with a sudden exploding pressure to the head which makes me jump upright in bed with a higher heart rate. There only has been a heavy feeling of chest a few times, and once or twice 3/10 sharp pin feeling in central chest Also I was full time farm fencing prior and didn't have this problem. So my physical activity has dropped, and probably my health. I am now studding Paramedical science at university this year. I'm to embarrassed to see a doctor and tell him my story, and probably have half an answer. Thanks for reading my situation . Look forward to a reply XXXXXXX.

Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

The red patches of palms and soles associated with severe itching are looking like due to a contact dermatitis, or in allergic nature.

But what is causing this itchy rash is important to find out as its avoidance will give relief of symptoms.

So try to find out any introduction of new food in your diet, any contact with chemicals, farming material, and allergenic produts at home.

The palpitations of heart especially during nights, increased heart rate, and heaviness of the chest are symptoms of anxiety.

And the stress and anxiety will aggravate and the exaggerate the allergic skin condition by psychosomatic effect.

For temporary relief of itching you can take oral antihistamine like cetirizine tablet at bedtime in prescribed dosage.

Apply calamine lotion externally over the palms and soles every 8 th hourly to decrease itching and for soothing effect.

Physical examination of your palms and soles by a doctor is required to diagnose the problem.

So I advise you to consult Dermatologist for the examination, for the accurate diagnosis of the skin condition, and its proper treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.