Increased heart rate, chest pains. Need help in assessing the blood pressure

Been having fast heartbeat for a few months now on and off chest pains. Is 139/104 a good blood pressure?
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

No, 139/104 is not a good blood pressure.

Your systolic blood pressure, which is at present 139 mm of Hg should be between 110 to 130 mm of Hg. &

Your diastolic blood pressure, which is 104 mm of Hg at present should be between 70 to 90 mm of Hg.

Please let me know following:-

(i) What is your Pulse rate?
(ii) What causes/aggravates chest pain? Any relation with meal & respiration?
(iii) What relieves it?
(iv) Is it localized or occurs in whole chest & radiates to left arm?
(v) Are you obese?

What are your latest reports?
Please let me know your Hb gm %, ECG, Echocardiography, T3 T4 TSH, Blood Sugar (F & PP), Lipid profile, X-Ray chest reports.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Increased heart rate, chest pains. Need help in assessing the blood pressure 37 minutes later
Pulse rate 98. Causes usually when I'm just lying down . A little overweight.
Usually chest area all over , sometimes mainly near my heart to my left arm. Just fall asleep that relieves it after a few hours. X-ray report clear. ECG was abnormal. Stress test no results yet but didn't last long during that pulse 145 bp 151/71. Don't know lipid profile . Blood sugar between 8.0-18.0. I think Hb % 90. Just test after test not telling me much.

Welcome again,

As your pulse rate is on higher side, you can take beta blockers like atenolol to control your B.P.

If your chest pain has no relation with exertion, it can be due to gastric problems.

But if it comes after exertion and rest gives relief, covers chest and radiates to left arm, it can be due to I.H.D. If that happens, you should just lay down & put one tablet of Isordil 5mg s/l below your tongue & should get shifted to IR as early possible.

You should get a fresh ECG done and consult Cardiologist if report is abnormal.
You should keep your blood sugar under control & hemoglobin level to normal.
You should avoid fried and spicy foods & caffeine containing cold & hot drinks and minimum salt.

Your Blood sugar & Hemoglobin level is not clear. Please get your Hb gm %, blood Sugar and Lipid profile/S.Cholesterol done and consult if abnormal.

Hope, I have replied your query. If you have further query, feel free to ask. If you don't require further clarification, please accept the answer and rate it.

With good wishes,