Increased heart beat for a 4 year old. Having cough and chest pain. Is there anything to be worried?

My son is 4 yrs old now. We have noticed that his heartbeat is very fast. Is it something to worry. What could be cause? He recently had cough too. It has been there for a while. Today he also complained having chest pains
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query,

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

4 year old generally has a heart rate much faster than an average adult, primarily due to the high metabolic rate. Cough and chest pain over a recent period of time should be indicating of something going on in his respiratory tract rather than involving his heart as you might like to assume. But, either case a check-up is essential.

For this, a consultation with a pediatrician is a must as soon as possible. A chest X-ray may be asked by your doctor to confirm the findings. Yes, a thorough check would also cover his cardio-vascular system and you should have no reason to worry big for this moment.

Meanwhile, avoid dust exposure and cold food/drinks. And keep him warm and resting without any strenuous activity.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.