Increased creatinine levels, had nephrectomy. What precautions should I take to keep level normal?

Nephrologist
Question
I have undergoen Nephrectomy about a year backdue to agrowth on the kidney.
Since last three months the creatinine levels has increased. Dec 2011 (1.5) - Mar 2012(1.6).
What precautions should I be observing to keep the creatinine levels normal
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

You are a Hypertensive with a single kidney. Most people can live a completely normal life on a normal single kidney. A fluctuation of 0.1 can occur even without a change in kidney function, due to variations in the testing lab.

However since your creatinine is slightly raised, You need to make sure there is no additional stress on your kidneys.

1. Keep your weight and BP under check
2. Moderate protein restriction in diet. Avoid red meats, occasional fish or chicken in a week is fine.
3. Restrict salt / fat in diet
4. Avoid junk food
5. No painkillers containing NSAIDs ( ibuprofen/diclofenac - Voveran/Combiflam etc)
6. No smoking
7. Check your urine and creatinine every 2 to 3 months
8. Avoid unproven alternative remedies

In form your nephrologist before starting any new medication.

Follow-up: Increased creatinine levels, had nephrectomy. What precautions should I take to keep level normal? 27 hours later
Thanks Doctor for the advice.
I will implement it.
I suffer continuosly from acidity for which I usually take one Ranitidine 150 mg and when it becomes unbearable then one Omeprazole Capsule. Is is ok or should it be avoided.
Also for fever I havebeen taking Paracetamol/Crocin. Should this also be avoided

Warm Regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 20 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Ranitidine and Omeprazole are very safe, even in the long run.
You can take paracetamol, it is safe on kidneys.
keep a regular check on your BP monthly and creatinine and urine for protein every 3 months.
regards

Follow-up: Increased creatinine levels, had nephrectomy. What precautions should I take to keep level normal? 20 hours later
Thanks Doctor for setting aside my worries on the mediaction I had been taking.

I had gone for a Renal Doppler Study this morning as the doctor is contemplating to substitute Atenal with some other medicine.
I have another round of Creatinine doen this morning.

I will let you know once the specialist meets me to see the diagnosis of the study.

Is there any restriction I have to follow with drinking of water. The doctor who had operated me for Nephrectomy had advised me to drink at least 3 ltrs of water in a day. However another gentleman who had to undergo a kidney transplant has been advised to drink moderate quantity of water.

Warm Regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

Moderate quantities of water are adequate, 2 to 3 liters of water are enough. It may vary depending on the weather. The idea is that you should pass about 2 liters of urine every 24 hrs.