Ask a Urologist   »  

Increased bed wetting, have hernia. Can mesh repair make the condition worse?

Hello -
I'm 48 years old and started bed wetting again about 18 years ago - after stopping when I was about 14. I was diagnosed with prostatitis and mild BPH as the cause. Recently it has increased to about every other night from once a week and now have some daytime instability. I have a pretty bad hernia that I'm going to get taken care of in a month - can the hernia be the cause and what are the chances that the mesh repair will make it worse?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 16 minutes later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Bed wetting at this age is very uncommon.
Since you have hernia, it is worthwhile waiting till u get it corrected, before starting treatment for enuresis( bed wetting).
There is a chance that if the bladder is involved in the hernia, there is a chance of spontaneous correction after hernia repair.
To my knowledge, the chances of mesh repair making it worse is very unlikely.
But, the hernia needs correction anyway!

Hope this answers your query. Kindly get back for doubts if any.

Follow-up: Increased bed wetting, have hernia. Can mesh repair make the condition worse? 22 minutes later
Thank you -

Are you saying that the BPH and prostatitis is not a reason for the bedwetting?

Regards -
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 16 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
Medicine is at times like calculation.
First, we need to treat the condition that is present ( hernia in your case).
Then, we need to think of other possibilities.
In your case, BPH and prostatitis is only a theoretical possibility, unless if there is very high residual urine.
At your age and residual urine less than 100 ml, the chance of prostate problem causing bed wetting is extremely rare.
Hope this answers your doubt, kindly get back for doubts if any.
Get well soon.