Increased HB and GGT count. What could the cause be?

Could you please tell me what the cause could be of a 160 hemoglobin blood count. & a GGT count of 105?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 32 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Haemoglobin level is usually between 13-15 in a normal male and between 12-15 in case of a normal adult female.

A level of 16 is just a little above the normal range, although causes of slight increase in Hb above the normal range are:

-High altitude
-Hypoxia because of heart diseases

It can also be due to Primary polycythemias, which are due to factors intrinsic to red cell precursors. Polycythemia vera (PCV), polycythemia rubra vera (PRV) or erythremia, occurs when excess red blood cells are produced as a result of an abnormality of the bone marrow.

Please see if the smoking is the causative factor in your case, If not you can go for rechecking in 6-8 weeks, also please check is it only the Hb, or the other lines like WBC or platelets are also increased.

GGT is a liver enzyme, which is raised in cases of liver damage, most common cause of only GGT raised with the normal other enzymes, can be the alcohol intake.

If all other enzymes are raised as well, we need to look at other causes like viral infection, drugs and toxins as well.

Hope it helps, please let me know if you need further information.

Follow-up: Increased HB and GGT count. What could the cause be? 19 hours later
Can over use of panadol increase the GGT & hemoglobin count, or large varicous veins in the legs especially after long distance flight?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later
Panadol is toxic to liver if taken in large quantities, its toxicity will lead to increase in all the liver enzymes and not only GGT. Please check the other enzymes as well to see if all are raised or it is only GGT.

I do not think varicose veins has any thing to do with the hemoglobin count.

Follow-up: Increased HB and GGT count. What could the cause be? 33 hours later
Can I reverse the toxic panadol effects please? Also how please?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 3 hours later
Panodol toxicity is suspected only if all the enzymes namely AST, ALT , and GGT is raised and not only GGT.
If all the enzymes are raised and vou suspect paracetamol as the cause then the only way to get it out of the system is to stop taking it wait for the liver to get over it in due course of time.
There is no short cut to regenerate the liver faster.