Increased CRP, done blood test, had rotator cuff tear, cold sore. Reason for high CRP?

I am 57; 6'0" and 194 pounds, very fit and muscular. I play basketball, tennis, racquetball all weekly and lift weights 3x/week. I have my blood tested 2x/annually. My CRP has only been .3 or less for the past several years. As recently as March of this year, it was under 1 but in August, it shot up to 4.8 which is a dramatic increase. I did tear my rotator cuff in May and I am getting that operated on in October and I did have a cold sore at the time of my blood test. Other than that, my health has been consistent. There were no other issues with the blood test. WBC was good as was Kidney/Liver function, cholesterol, etc. Why would it shoot up so much and should I be concerned??
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 24 hours later

C Reactive Protein (CRP) is an indicator of infammation anywhere in the body. Both sore throat and inflammation. These could very well be the cause of raised CRP.

There is no reason to get alarmed. Repeat CRP when you are healthy and fit. That will be the real reading of your CRP. You may need physical examination and further testing if CRP remains high in the absence of inflammatory condition.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have additional concerns, I am available to address them

Dr Praveen XXXXXXX