Increase in bilirubin, liver function test normal, hep B, hep C, liver sonogram, CBC

I am a 35 year old female and I have just received my most recent full blood work. The only thing out of range is an increase in bilirubin, which is of concern to me. The range is from .2 to 1.2 and mine is 1.5. Two years ago it was .8. My other liver function tests were normal. I was tested for hep B when I was pregnant 8 months ago and that was negative. I was tested for hep c 5 years ago and that was negative. I will be retested for them yet seem to have no risk factors. My doctor is sending me for a liver sonogram as well.
What do you think this can be? Should I be very concerned. My CBC was fine as well. They did not show the Bilirubin breakdown. I do not have stomach pain. I also do NOT drink alcohol. I am stressed, exhausted from having a baby that does not sleep and do not drink enough water, yet I cannot imagine that makes a difference.
Thank you!

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 21 hours later

Increase in bilirubin can be because of -

1) Excess RBC destruction

2) liver disease

3) obstruction to bile flow.

Each of them have characteristic Liver function profile. Since your enzymes are normal and there is no RBC destruction it could be a benign disorder called Gilbert's syndrome - caused by a defeciency of an enzyme required for bilirubin conjugation, but i need to know the direct and the indirect fraction to confirm it.

The ultra sonogram that you are undergoing is to see if the increased bilirubin is because of liver pathology.

Meanwhile you also be undergoing blood work up to detect any related causes.

Do write back us with reports that you receive.

Awaiting for the same.