Increase in LDL cholesterol. Is it very high? What precautions should I take to decrease it?

Hello Doc,
Iam XXXXXXX, (58) XXXXXXX mother,height 5'3", weight 65 kg, quite healthy,no medical history. Not facing any problem till now.
just got my routine medical tests done yes'd & was surprised to see my LDL cholesterol increased to 204 mg/dl, HDL cholesterol is 43mg/dl & serum cholesterol is 268mg/dl.
Is it very high ? what precautions should I take to decrease it ?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

The Normal ranges for Cholesterol are:

1.) LDL: Less than 150mg/dL is optimal
2.) HDL: More than 40mg/dL.
3.) Total Cholesterol: Less than 200mg/dL is desirable.

Your reports suggest you have high LDL and Total Cholesterol; while HDL cholesterol is within normal limits.

Don't press the panic button yet, since it is often preventable and treatable. A healthy diet, regular exercise and sometimes medication can go a long way in reducing high cholesterol. I would suggest get yourself examined by a Physician so that he/she may examine you in detail and rule out risk factors like family history of High cholesterol, diabetes or high blood pressure.

Your doctor may then prescribe ‘Statin’ group of drugs to reduce cholesterol, which you will have to take as directed for a few months, depending upon the severity. Keep a close watch on your blood sugars and blood pressure, as high cholesterol in combination with diabetes and hypertension is notorious for causing Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular diseases.

In addition to the medicines, follow these lifestyle modifications to bring down the cholesterol level:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes daily, this should include brisk walking. This will burn your body fat reserves and bring down cholesterol. Maintain a healthy weight.
3.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
4.) Avoid Trans fats, Junk foods are the main source of this.
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you don't have any follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.