Inability to control gas, urge to have BM, stomach inflammation, swollen stomach. Is it social anxiety or a bacterial infection?

Question
In the past 2 months I have developed an inability to control gas in social situations. It has become involuntary
and I have a need to have a bowl movement every time I think about doing something with others. I'm concerned that it is social anxiety but I also am experiencing stomach imflamation and a swollen stomach. Could I have a bacterial infection or a bug?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

These symptoms can be due to like any infection. Social anxiety disorder may have cognitive, behavior or physiological symptoms and although very rare, but farting in public may be a symptom of this disorder. Other than that, irritable bowel syndrome also has to be ruled out.

The first line of treatment includes cognitive behavior therapy and antidepressant medications, often in combination with psychological and social supports. Cognitive behavior therapy involves exposure to a feared social situation that is anxiety provoking but bearable, for as long as possible, two to three times a week.

This is done by psychiatric sessions with a psychiatrist. Sometimes support groups may also help in the healing process.

IBS is called a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that your doctor has to rule out other possibilities first.

To treat IT, Firstly make some lifestyle changes. Alterations in diet, like gradual addition of more fibre in your diet like whole grain breads, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables & fruits can ease your symptoms. Avoid taking cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans and lentils, caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) aerated drinks, fried and spicy foods.

Also drink plenty of fluids and water and try to stop smoking or alcohol if there is history of intake of any such substance. Also start doing daily exercises like brisk walks and XXXXXXX breathing exercises.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Inability to control gas, urge to have BM, stomach inflammation, swollen stomach. Is it social anxiety or a bacterial infection? 1 hour later
Thanks for the info. I do believe it is somewhat stress related and or anxiety driven but I am also experiencing vaginal discomfort and discharge. No odor or discoloring. I don't believe it's a bladder inflection but concerned that there is something happening in me. I am a therapist and currently in personal therapy myself as well.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

If there is no odor associated with the vaginal discharge then there is nothing to worry about. The increased discharge could be due to physiological reasons like rise of hormone level (oestrogen) which is seen- during menstrual cycle, sexual excitement, stress and anxiety, pregnancy etc.

If there is any change in the color and odor of discharge then you should get a pelvic examination done from a gynecologist.