In which category of stool test does fungi or infection would be inferred?

Gastroenterologist
Question
The doctor told me that the purpose of the stool exam was to determine the presence of yeast cells (fungi). The stool-exam result has three categories; GROSS, MICROSCOPIC, and PARASITES & OVA. Yeast cells (fungi) are mentioned under NONE of these categories. Is there perhaps another (scientific) name for fungi? Histolytica, ascaris, trichuris, hookworm, or giardia lamblia???
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Fungi would come under microscopy section.
If nothing is mentioned under it, it means there is no fungi.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: In which category of stool test does fungi or infection would be inferred? 1 hour later
Dr Dr Kini,

Thank you for the information which reassures me.

The results come out of a computer.
I forgot of course that in the computer age, pre-existing forms can be adapted to the results and that results are no longer indicated according to the forms

But, then again, in that microscopy section it has three elements and it says
Red Blood Cells NONE
White Blood Cells NONE.
Bacteria MANY
That section could say: Fungi NONE
XXXXXXX McCredie, "Beyond Thalidomide – Birth Defects Explained", London: The Royal Society of Medicine Press, 2007,
speaks about gastrointestinal atresia.
Maybe that was why colonoscopy is not advisable for me (although the doctors told me that it was because my intestines may be small.)
Maybe, I will ask another question tomorrow or so.

Thank You again.

Best regards,
Ivo

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 31 minutes later
Welcome.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: In which category of stool test does fungi or infection would be inferred? 17 minutes later
Dear Dr Kini,
I search for "rate" on this page and I don't find the place which I can rate your service.
Ivo

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 minutes later
You can write to YYYY@YYYY

Follow-up: In which category of stool test does fungi or infection would be inferred? 2 hours later
Done

From: Ivo Cerckel
To: " YYYY@YYYY "
Sent: Thursday, 9 May 2013, 16:33
Subject: rating Dr XXXXXXX Kini

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was wondering how my Philippine gastroenterologist could tell me that my stool-exam displayed no fungi. I thought maybe they were indicated under another (scientific) name.

Dr Kini replied to me that fungi would come under microscopy section of the stool-exam result and that if nothing is mentioned under it, it means there is no fungi.

That answered my query.

An additional bonus for me was that in a previous life as "vakyl" (that’s lawyer in Urdu/Punjabi) in Brussels Belgium,, I used to work for refugees from the Indian subcontinent.

The service was perfect.

Best regards,
Ivo Cerckel

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Thank you!