In surgical menopause and also have osteoporosis. Had a fall and having lower back pain. Should I seek medical attention?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am 44 and am in surgical menopause and also have osteoporosis. I had a fall today and now have severe lower back pain radiating up the side of my spine. No sure if I need to seek medical attention or hold off for a few days
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is quite chance of fracture

Detailed Answer:

As you are in menopause and having osteoporosis and after fall you have severe back pain, there is quite chance of fracture.
So I suggest you to go for a x-ray of involved area and consult an orthopaedician for proper examination and management .
Meanwhile take complete bed rest. You can take ibuprofen(motrin) to reduce pain and inflammation.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Warm regards.