In menopause. Getting buzzing sensation in arms, feeling nauseous. What could this be?

May 2013
Hi, I am asking a question on behalf of my aunt. I tried to get as much information as I can but she is having trouble explaining her symptoms to me clearly. She has been in menopause for a few years and has always has many hot flashes at night. For about a month she has had a "buzzing sensation" in both arms and she has noticed that when she has a hot flash her hands are starting to burn/sweat as well. Also, both arms will be numb when she wakes up but it goes away when she sits up. The buzzing sensation in her arms is pretty constant though. I have also noticed that she scratches her hands a lot now. This situation has gotten better but she has also noticed that she has been feeling nauseous almost every morning since these hand symptoms have occurred. I do not know if they are related. She says the nausea is similar to how she felt when she was pregnant (although she is not). She also says the nausea reminds her of motion sickness but it occurs throughout the day. Today she tried some medicine for nausea but she said it only temporarily worked. These are the only symptoms she has mentioned. She says she just doesn't feel like herself and she has also mentioned fatigue occasionally. What could this be? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 38 minutes later

Among the symptoms you described:
Hot flashes and night sweats are common findings in menopause which occur due to hormonal and biochemical fluctuation caused by decreased estrogen levels.
Itching leading to scratching can also be seen due to drying and thinning of the skin due to low estrogen levels. Fatigue also frequently seen in menopausal women.
But the buzzing sensation, nausea etc are pointing towards some other age related changes like cervical spondilitis, chronic disorders like diabetes, hypertension etc.
So let her first consult gynecologist and take treatment preferably hormone replacement therapy for menopausal symptoms.
Then with her advice she can consult general physician to get examined for the causes of buzzing sensation and nausea etc.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: In menopause. Getting buzzing sensation in arms, feeling nauseous. What could this be? 9 minutes later
I understand that she should consult her gynecologist but can you give me some specific disorders that could cause the buzzing in both arms AND nausea? Is it a possibility that this is due to menopause too because the same spots start to sweat now? I also have been adding therapeutic doses of cayenne to her diet and she said that the buzzing has greatly improved and her arms haven't been numb while sleeping for a couple of nights. The most worrying symptom for her as of late is the nausea. Could you provide some more feedback on this? I though about diabetes but she has no other symptoms. I thought about high blood pressure but she has mentioned that her blood pressure was low at certain points in her life. Would something grave like a cancer cause occasional nausea? Its just mystifying because these are her only symptoms. No shortness of breath, no chest pains, no headaches
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 51 minutes later

Cervical spondilitis is one condition which occur due to wear and tear occurring at the cervical vertebral level. It can occur usually with progressing age.
Because of this when nerves get compressed at different levels patient will present with symptoms like neck pain, tingling sensation in the limbs, nausea etc.
As menopause and cervical spondilitis both are age related changes both can occur together.

Diabetes and hypertension also can cause these symptoms by affecting nerves.
Though there is no previous history better to check now to rule out recent onset.

The possibility of malignancy is less as she is not having any other symptoms like loss of weight, difficulty in swallowing, loss of appetite etc.
So after consulting local doctor and undergoing examination you will get clarification regarding this.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.