In hospital with food poisoning. Received Heperin shots for blood clots. Suffered low platelets. Need to get tooth extracted. Remedy?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I was just in hospital with food poisoning. While there I received Heperin shots for blood clots. They discovered I was allergic to it. My platlets went down to 85,000 as of Sept 5. They stopped the shots and on 9/6 it was back up to 92,000. I don't know what it is at this point, but I need a tooth extracted and the dentist is hesitant to do it because of the low platlets. Can you tell me if it is XXXXXXX if I would have a tooth extracted right now.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not advisable to have tooth extracted at present.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
One of the side-effects of heparin is to lower the platelets. By stopping the heparin the platelets would be expected to increase towards normal as they have in your case.
Platelets are needed for normal clotting of the blood. There is a risk of bleeding when a tooth is extracted so your dentist will need the platelets to be above a safe level to avoid excessive bleeding.
A level of 100,000 is often considered an acceptable level to avoid profuse bleeding with extraction of a tooth. I would agree with your dentist that 92,000 is rather low to continue with the extraction. It would be safer for you to wait until your platelets have increased further.
I hope this is helpful information. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,