In end stage of Parkinson and is bed bound. Buttocks are breaking down, red and crusty. Tried DuoDerm. Advise?

My husband ls bed bound with end stage Parkinson's,and is in a hospital bed with some kind of special mattress that has the feel of the egg crate kind. His buttocks are beginning to have some breakdown....redness with 3 10-15 mm spots that are more red and crusty. Small spot of blood from one of them. He refuses to spend more than 30 minutes in any position other than flat on his back. We check his diapers often, and clean him with Aloe Vesta no-rinse clean. Then coat the whole area with SensaCare. Tried DuoDerm (sp?) and hated it; didn't stay on at all well and when it came time to remove it, I felt that it was pulling his skin painfully, tho he didn't complain. Any advice? I'm about to put coconut oil on it....."they" say it's good for skin irritations. seems as tho' it couldn't hurt....continuing with the SensaCare of course. I would appreciate any advice.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
KETO dusting powder

Detailed Answer:

I see that you are following all the necessary measures to avoid bed sores.

Bed sores are usually associated with infections specially fungal which cause further worsening and sloughing of the skin exposing the raw under surface.

Also the dampness adds to the damage.

Applying antifungal dusting powder like KETO (Ketoconazole) would reduce the dampness and cure the fungal infection reversing the sores.

Dusting daily twice would suffice.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: In end stage of Parkinson and is bed bound. Buttocks are breaking down, red and crusty. Tried DuoDerm. Advise? 20 hours later
I have been using a barrier cream (Balmex or SensaCare) per the advice of the Hospice R.N. to protect against urine irritation; should I discontinue this?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Do continue applying Balmex specially on extra raw sores. It is a Zinc oxide based cream and helps in healing by preventing irritation.