In Post partum, and suffered from constipation and cramps. How to overcome this?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
I am five weeks post partum, and initially suffered from constipation. This resolved. On Sunday I suffered from increased frequency plus very soft sticky stools associated with cramping. I attributed this to the increased fenugreek that I had been taking for my milk supply. I stopped the fenugreek (I was suffering from increased wind prior) and all of the above subsided. Until today. No increased wind but the same soft sticky stools associated with cramping have returned. I had not passed stool between now and then. I actually live on Australia but I am desperate for some help.

Can you help please?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Constipation and cramps are common after delivery and they take a few weeks to subside. To prevent the symptoms yo are suffering from, you should increase the intake of roughage in your diet, in the form of green leafy vegetables, salads and fruits. If there is pain associated with these symptoms, then you should also do Sitz bath - which is sitting in a tub filled with warm water for 10 minutes, twice a day. This will help with the pain and cramps.
If you follow these suggestions, you should be relieved of your symptoms within a couple of days.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: In Post partum, and suffered from constipation and cramps. How to overcome this? 19 minutes later
Is there any reason why the stool softness and cramps have only just started in the last week?

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for asking your question. This recent change in consistency of stools ans cramps can be explained by some recent change in dietary habits or a mild intestinal infection.

Hoping for the best.

Follow-up: In Post partum, and suffered from constipation and cramps. How to overcome this? 4 minutes later
Any idea what the likely culprit would be as far as food goes? If its an infection how long do you think it will take to pass?

Dear Ma'am,

Any stale food or fast food cooked outside can lead to these problems. If it is a mild infection, it will take 3-4 days to go away. In addition to the previous advise, also consume coconut water and curd, as this will help in normalizing the bowel movements.