Implanon placed. Continuous bleeding and severe cramps. What's wrong?

I had implanon placed on the 7th Nov 2012 (period started on 5th) i had a continuous bleeding until the 30th Nov (had implanon removed 27th Nov)... had started taking XXXXXXX 35ed quick start method... then on sunday got severe cramps and dark brown period, then today its actually a bleed not clottin
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 41 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The abnormal bleeding that you experienced starting the implanon is not entirely abnormal. What probably should have happened is that the implanon should have been removed, you should have taken a week off, and THEN started the birth control pills.

From what you are saying, I would recommend the following:
1. You need to check a pregnancy test to make sure that this is not a miscarriage
2. You should take a break from all hormones
3. If your bleeding proceeds like a period, then just restart a new pack of pills on Sunday night.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions.