Impaired hearing when people call from a distance. Often hear loud music. Suggestions to overcome this?

ENT Specialist
Question
I hear a bit less when people call from a distance. I hear loud music on headphone. Please suggest how to over come?
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 25 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done and post the result here for an accurate assessment.

2. Avoid keeping the headphone volume too high.

3. Do you have Tinnitus?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Impaired hearing when people call from a distance. Often hear loud music. Suggestions to overcome this? 23 minutes later
Please let me know the procedure and cost for PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram).

Do you have Tinnitus?
No

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You will have to first get your ears checked by a local ENT Specialist to confirm that there is no ear wax or ear drum problem.

2. The PTA is usually done by an Audiologist at a Hearing & Speech Clinic.

3. The PTA may cost around Rs. 200 to 250.

Regards.

Follow-up: Impaired hearing when people call from a distance. Often hear loud music. Suggestions to overcome this? 8 hours later
Thank you so much doctor,

I do see a lot of wax in my ears. please suggest how to remove it

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Get your ears examined. Wet wax may be removed immediately.

2. If the ear wax is dry, hard or impacted, you may have to use wax dissolving ear drops such as Soliwax or Waxolve for a few days before the wax can be cleaned. Use 5 drops 5 times a day and lie down for 5 minutes on your side with that ear above.

3. Avoid cleaning your ears yourself. You may proceed with the Audiometry after getting your ears cleaned.

Regards.

Follow-up: Impaired hearing when people call from a distance. Often hear loud music. Suggestions to overcome this? 2 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help doctor

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Ear wax build-up is a common problem that is easily treated.

2. You can follow up directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti

Regards.