Impact injury, no bruising or swelling, painful to touch, tenderness felt while walking. X-Ray needed?

I had an impact injury to the front of my XXXXXXX yesterday. I typically bruise very easily. However, there is no bruising or swelling to the injured area. It hurts and is very painful to the touch. I am able to walk without problem, although I can feel the tenderness in that area with each step. Do I need to get an x-ray?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

With your given information, I do not feel the need of an X-ray for your XXXXXXX region. You would need analgesics, try over the counter for some days anyway. Keep an eye - should any swelling/redness/pain increase happen in next few days (which I guess would be remote) you would need a clinical review for any minor issues and stronger prescription NSAID drugs.

Meanwhile, go easy on long walking for next week or so, avoid running and apply ice/heat packs. Extend bed rest as much as you can. And perhaps a small bandage wrapped intermittently (available from a pharmacy) for 3-4 hours and not overnight would further cut out pain during walking.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.