Imodium, diarrhea, gas pain, loperamide HCL, simethicone. Alternative medicines ?

I have taken Imodium branded over the counter medication for control of systoms of -diarrhea and gas pain. I found the "Multi-symptom Chewable tablets worked best. These tablets contained Loperamide HCI 2mg and Simethicone 125mg. I can no longer find this product at my local pharmacy or durg store.
Has it been taken off the market ? if so why and is there any acceptable alternative ? I have taken other Imodium products but none seem to work as well.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later

Imodium chewable tablet is not off the market. It is still available. May be your local pharmacy has run out of the stock.

Another alternative is take a plain loperamide tablet for diarrhea ( imodium or ADCO- loperamide tablet) and take a chewable antacid like TUMS along with a glass full of water after that for producing the similar relief.

Imodium advanced chewable tablets or imodium multi symptom relief capsule can also be used.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Imodium, diarrhea, gas pain, loperamide HCL, simethicone. Alternative medicines ? 3 hours later
I feel I might have not communicated correctly. the medication I can not find is Imodium Multi-symptom chewable. I contacted the manufacturer and their customer service stated it has been taken off the market but will come back but they are not sure when and also stated it would be the same formulation.
They would not state why it was currently not avalible. I was hoping you might be able to provide more information as a medical professional you have better access to information, seems the drug companies like to keep us consumers in the dark.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

There were news earlier about why an Opioid agonist like Loperamide ( especailly Immodium) is allowed Over the Counter in a well regulated pharmacy market like US. It is still a prescription only drug in developing country markets like China, India.

There were few speculations around it though, it works well and has good sales in US. It is truly insoluble in water and does not cross the blood brain barrier to have addictive potential. There were certain reports that if one over plays with Loperamide it can contaminate with a substance called MPTP+ which is responsible for Parkinsonism. However none have withstood the scientific scrutiny.

But I am not really sure if this is the reason why this is been withdrawn. The drug companies do not make their XXXXXXX problems public. Whether FDA nipped it or not is yet to come out.

For the time being you can use the two drugs- loperamide and simethicone separately which are available over the counter. Simethicone is a routine constituent of most of the anti flatulent agents and antacids.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.