Immobilization done for severe ankle sprain. Will it be safe to resume gym activity?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I suffered a severe ankle sprain 2 months ago, I was put on 3 weeks immobilasation program.This was followed by physiotherapy for many weeks. Now I plan to join a gym along with a program to strengthen my ankle. Is is safe? Do I need to take any precautions?
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Two months of rest with three weeks of immobilization is enough time for a complete healing of an ankle sprain. You can resume the gym activities gradually.
The strengthening exercises for ankle joint will be helpful in preventing such injuries in future. Be careful to do stretching for 15 minutes before you start with the exercises.
Use proper shoes
Strengthening your hamstrings will also be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Immobilization done for severe ankle sprain. Will it be safe to resume gym activity? 6 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Could you please suggest what type of shoes could be used ?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You need to pay careful attention to selecting the correct shoe based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary. You may get an appropriate shoe type recommended from your orthopedician after an examination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.