Immense kidney and gastric pain, penis soreness post PUJ laparoscopic surgery. Normal outcome?

Jul 2016

Our grandson just had PUJ laparoscopic surgery on Wed. He had a catheter which was removed 24 hrs following. Eight hours later they tried to put the catheter back in but could not due to the pain they were inflicting on him. His penis is now very sore, he still is having kidney pain and lots of gas pain. Is this a normal outcome and to be expected following this surgery?
This should be directed to paediatrics as opposed to men's health
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your grandson has undergone Laproscopic Pyeloplasty for congenital PUJ obstruction.
I shall be happy if post few more details to help me to make comments on your problem.
1) What is the age of your grandson ?
2) Have the operating surgeon put a Double J stent in his renal unit to drain the urine from his kidney to the bladder ?( This is normally mentioned in discharge summary) ?
3)Was a drainage tube kept in perinephric area to drain fluid leaking from the site of surgery.
4) Was there any bleeding while attempting catheterisation second time ?
5) Does he pass urine per urethra freely?
The soreness of the penis is most likely to be due to injury to the urethra while passing catheter which will get cured in a week..
The pain in the kidney area could be due to collection of urine or inflammatory fluid in perinephric space (Area Surrounding Kidney)

Normally these complication do nor occur routinely but can happen once in a while after such a major surgery.

Just keep him under close observation of a operating surgeon with specific attention to his urine output and pain in operated renal area
I think he should be fine in a week .
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.