I'm feeling a strange numbness in my inter upper thigh

Neurologist
Question
I'm feeling a strange numbness in my inter upper thigh area. there is no pain or tenderness. I have type 2 diabetes and taking victoza, metformin, losartin, pravastatin. Same meds for about 10 years. Six weeks ago I lost my husband to a heart attack and blood pressure has been a bit elevated 175/78.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Brain and Spine
Follow-up: I'm feeling a strange numbness in my inter upper thigh 4 minutes later
forgot to add that I've had a total knee replacement in both knees about 17 years ago. I'm only feeling this numbness in my left leg.

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A few possibilities

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

There may be several causes for your internal thigh numbness. Given your history of diabetes the first diagnosis to think of would be that of femoral neuropathy. It is due to dysfunction of the femoral nerve which is commonly due to trauma or compression in the pelvic area, but is also often encountered in diabetes patients. The most appropriate test for the diagnosis would be nerve conduction studies.

Another cause to be considered would be that of lumbar spine issues with nerve root compression in the back. It is less likely as usually it is associated with some back pain or stiffness, but it manifest with isolated numbness in the lower limb. Nerve conduction studies mentioned above should be able to differentiate between the two.

A simple muscle strain would be another possibility in which case it should subside gradually over several weeks.

Management would depends on nerve conduction studies finding, usually physical therapy, pain treatment when needed are sufficient, rarely is surgery needed when there is a compression evidenced.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.