I'm a landscape contractor. I work long days on my

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I'm a landscape contractor. I work long days on my feet and normally always on hard cement surfaces. I am 53 yr old female and AM currently about 15 pounds overweight. About 2 years ago I suddenly began having pain in my right ankle at the end of really physical and long days. \
This pain would go away after 2 or 3 days at first but has gradually graduated to almost constant pain and I walk with a limp now.
On some days the pain is tolerable and other days it is now just to the point of EXCRUCIATING at least 3 days per week.
Just recently the ankle stays very swollen all around the main outer ankle bone when the pain is most intense.
When I put my feet up the problem and pain is exacerbated. For example when I sit in a recliner with feet reclined, I cannot walk when getting out of the chair. so I've quickly learned NOT to elevate my feet. The pain is also very bad after driving, when i first get out of the truck I can barely walk so hmmm?
I also have knee pain, butt-bone pain and elbow pain but those are rare as opposed to the ankle which is all the time now.
A friend of mine says it sounds like my ankle is bone on bone which certainly sounds scarey!
Posted Tue, 5 Dec 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Plantar fascitis Vitamin D deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

You seem to be suffering from Plantar fascitis.

This is the inflammation of the tissues around the heel bone. The pain is aggravated after getting up from need or after a long situation of getting up after sitting.

Wear a silicone heel insert in your footwear. Perform Calf muscle and Plantar fascia stretching exercises by a Physiotherapist or you can get them from YouTube.

Take Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for 5 days after meals and Tablet Rabeprazole twice a day for 5 days before meals.

Do get your Vitamin D levels tested because that could be an additional cause of your pain in multiple regions.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Follow-up: I'm a landscape contractor. I work long days on my 18 minutes later
Your answer brings to mind two questions that may either strengthen or change your initial diagnosis so I feel I should share these two additional facts
1. My heel does not hurt ... ever. The area that hurts is directly at the outer ankle bone which I'm guessing is considered "area around heel bone" ?
2. While elevating my feet and / or driving does make the pain worse, the INITIAL onset of the pain always follows a long days work on my feet.

Does this change or confirm your diagnosis?

Thank you kindly,
Lynn

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bursitis or arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

You could be having inflammation around the lateral malleolus. It could be a bursitis or arthritis.

Do apply Diclofenac gel around that area. Wear an ankle brace. Avoid climbing stairs. Do get an Xray of the ankle and forward it to me for a better understanding.