I'm a 50 yo R handed female w progressive R

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I'm a 50 yo R handed female w progressive R leg weakness dispite PT n parasthesia in thigh worse when laying dwn.. Abnormal emg latent and absent motor neurons n s1 nerve root. N femoral nerves MRI T L n C spine w mild disc bulding a various levels but Neuro says should not cause my symptoms. Brain MRI normal. Also recently put on continuous o2 due to poor diffusion per PFTs post atalectasis. Also stage 2 dysphagua x 3 years.. saw neurologist last week n he was to redo MRI and emg although I just had it done 2 weeks ago w a reputable diagnostic center but he wants his office to redo all tests. Is that routine to redo MRI n ENG? Any clue as to what's going on w my body? I'd like to know soon. I've already had 2 falls
Ty sincerely frustrated in alaska
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tests are necessary to achieve a correct diagnosis in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is not usual to repeat MRI, but I think your Neurologist is trying to achieve a correct diagnosis.

In my opinion, in your case conditions such multiple sclerosis, and other disorders that may affect the nervous system ( autoimmune diseases, motor neuron diseases ) should be considered and evaluated further.

That’s why your Neurologist is asking about repeating the MRI and EMG.

It is my opinion also that there is a need for other tests besides those mentioned above in order to achieve a correct diagnosis.

These tests include evoked potentials ( motor, sensory and visual ), spinal tap and cerebrospinal fluid analysis, blood tests (ESR, ANA,) etc.

Discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.