IgA nephropathy, hematuria, calf edma, protein in urine, idiopathic edema

Question
Hi, my name is XXXXXXX I have a condition called IgA Nephropathy. It is a form of glomunepharitis which affects the kidneys. What I would like to know is the following: I had the following symptoms in 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003 - blood in my urine (hematuria) and lower leg and calf edema. I went to see my GP several times and was sent to an internist in 2001. The internist diagnosed me with idiopathic edema in 2001 with no further testing other than what was in my medical file. I finally went to a new GP in 2004 when I moved and explained everyhitng that had been going on and begged for a full work-up. That is when hematuria, and protien were found in my urine while I still had the edema. What I would like to know is if the testing had been pursued in 2001, would it be safe to say that the disease would have been found sooner? I am searching for answers for my own peace of mind at this time. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hello.

IgA nephropathy occurs due to the production of antibodies against the protein IgA from the kidneys causing inflammation of renal structures. This causes excretion of protein in the urine leading to edema.

In every patient of edema routine blood test and urine tests are recommended to rule out any cardiac or renal problem before diagnosing the edema as idiopathic. I think when you went to the internist in 2001, the organic causes would have been considered.

Sometimes proteinuria and hematuria might happen late in the disease process. Regular follow ups and repeat tests may have helped us to detect early changes in your renal function.

It is best now to consult a nephrologist for proper further management.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: IgA nephropathy, hematuria, calf edma, protein in urine, idiopathic edema 17 hours later

If these tests were not done prior to my visit with the internist, would these tests have normally been ordered by the internist to rule out kidney issues or other major organ issues prior to diagnosing idiopathic edema? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the investigations have not been done earlier or they are older than six months then it is advisable to run the routine tests and look for the organic causes before stamping the cause to be idiopathic.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.