If there is a WBC in the urine of 20-25 does this indicate a bladder infection

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
If there is a WBC in the Urine of 20-25 does this indicate a bladder infection? I have 2 doctors that disagree on what this result mean.
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi dear,

Thanks for writing in.

Appearance of WBCs in urine is called pyuria.

Abnormal numbers of white blood cells appearance in urine suggests infection in either the upper or lower urinary tract or with acute glomerulonephritis.

If two or more leukocytes per each high power field appear in non-contaminated urine, the specimen is probably abnormal.

20 -25 WBC in urine is certainly abnormal and it indicates infection.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Follow-up: If there is a WBC in the urine of 20-25 does this indicate a bladder infection 4 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

I would like to know if you have a patient with intermittant incontinence and a urine sample is taken how would you treat someone with 20-25 WBC in urine? Also urine culture report states alpha hemolytic gram positive cocci isolated. enteroccus species ruled out. total colony count greater than 100,000 CFU per ML.

My brother was not initially treated for this infection and wound up 6 days later with alot of blood in urine and was rushed to the emergency room. ER doctor said bladder infection. Primary says no infection.

Thank you !
Suzanne

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
Hi again XXXXXX,

When colony count is 0000 CFU /ml it is certainly urinary tract infection beyond doubt.

If I would have such a patient I will treat him by fluroquinolone antibiotics or cephalosporin group of antibiotics for atleast 7 days.

I suppose ER doctor is right and it is a bladder infection for sure.

Hope this clears the confusion.

REgards

DrSUdarshan.

Follow-up: If there is a WBC in the urine of 20-25 does this indicate a bladder infection 15 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

If the infection is not treated then what types of physical problems can occur?

Thank you !!

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi again,

If infection is not treated patient may become ill with Fever n chills rigor,nausea ,vomitting .Later on septicemia may develop leading to renal failure due to Acute glomerulonephritis.

Hope this helps.

Regards.