If dry cough is persistant for 10 days, in a 3 year old child, inspite of taking amoxycilin and ambroxol hydrochloride, how can it be treated?

ENT Specialist
Question
My 3 years old daughter is having dry cough for the last 10 days.She has taken amoxyclin and ambroxol hydrochloride one course. But after that also she is having the cough.What can be done now to stop the cough? Coughing is more at night time.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get an X-ray skull lateral view to rule out adenoid hypertrophy which is common in children aged 3 to 7 years.

2. If this is a post infection hyper reactive airway cough, it will require you to give a cough suppressant (not an expectorant) containing dextromethorphan (such as Ascoril-D or Zedex). Do this under medical supervision.

3. Prepare a mixture of 4 spoons of fresh cream, 1 spoon of honey, a few drops of ginger juice and optionally a little black pepper. Make her lick a spoon full little by little. It will soothe the throat.

4. There is an ayurvedic powder called Tali sadi which can be mixed in honey and given similarly.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: If dry cough is persistant for 10 days, in a 3 year old child, inspite of taking amoxycilin and ambroxol hydrochloride, how can it be treated? 2 days later
If she is having adenoid hypertrophy, then what will be the treatment? She is not recovered fully.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If she has adenoid hypertrophy, she will require a course of an anti allergic, a mucolytic, a steroid nasal spray and supervised steam inhalation (or humidifier) to reduce the post nasal drip. You cannot eliminate adenoids,but you can control them.

2. Severe adenoid hypertrophy will also give rise to mouth breathing and snoring at night.

3. The adenoids have many side effects and they usually reduce on their own after the age of 7 to 8 years and usually disappear after the age of 12 to 15 years.

4. Severe adenoid obstruction may require surgery to remove them, for example if the child is having night terrors, not eating well, has stunted growth, has repeated ear infections or is developing chest problems like asthma. Adenoids can be removed under the age of five years; tonsils are usually not removed under the age of five.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: If dry cough is persistant for 10 days, in a 3 year old child, inspite of taking amoxycilin and ambroxol hydrochloride, how can it be treated? 1 hour later
Thanks for your clear information. Is antibiotics always require for treatment of cough? Can codeine be used for the treatment of cough for a child of 3+ years old?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 25 minutes later
Dear Ksh,

Thank you for asking these important questions.

1. Antibiotics are not always necessary for the treatment of cough.

2. Cough is a protective reflex. It should not be suppressed if it is helping the body to clear the airway.

3. Codiene is an opiate (morphine based) drug. Though occasional use is fine, continued use in very young children may cause severe respiratory depression and in some may cause dependence and withdrawal symptoms. Try the milder syrups and supportive remedies mentioned above.

Regards.