If conception took place on the 1st of the month. When would HPT show positive?

If conception took place on the 1st of the month when would home pregnancy test show positive reading at the earliest? can it show positive result on the 12th ( 11 days after conception?) Or is that unlikely ?..... Thanks
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 27 minutes later

Let me clear the basics first.

There are wide variation of when the urine pregnancy test becomes positive and how early pregnancy can be detected

This is due to four variables which determine when the home urine pregnancy test becomes positive:

Timing of Implantation
Blood hCG Level
Urine hCg Level
Sensitivity of the Urine Test

The fertilized egg implants into the endometrium, happens about a week after fertilization (range: 6-12 days), and it takes another 3-4 days after implantation (9-16 days after fertilization) for the blood pregnancy test to first become positive, followed 2-3 days later by the early positive pregnancy urine test, the home pregnancy test (HPT).So the range is vide. Again if depends lost on regularity of your period.

In nut shell, if you want to avoid confusion, the ideal time of testing is about 4-5 days after missing period. In some cases as mentioned earlier due to variability in implantation timing, test may be come positive even one day after missed period. The best time to is with early morning urine sample, at that time urine is concentrated so chances of picking pregnancy are more.

If you go by your date that is 1st, you should ideally check about 14 days later. You can give it a try after 1 days of missed period with early morning sample as advised and if tested negative, please check again after 3-4 days if you do not get your period in mean time..

I hope this helps and provide inputs on what you are looking for.

Follow-up: If conception took place on the 1st of the month. When would HPT show positive? 41 minutes later
Thank you. So in other words the earliest pregnancy can be detected by home pregnancy test is on the day or the day of a missed period. Is that correct? If I was to test 3 days before missed period would it be unlikely to show positive reading that early? Also does it make any difference if lutheal phase is shorter in my cycle?would that mean positive reading would show up earlier then someone who has a 14 day lutheal phasr? Or is this irrelavant when it comes to implantation and detecting pregnancy? Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 35 minutes later

Your interpretation is right.Please go for testing earliest on the day or 1 day after missing period.

Date of ovulation(luteal phase) does matter,if case the fertilization has occurred earlier you may have early positive test,but still in any case not before missing period.