If a candy contain egg albumen, would listeria be a cause for concern?

Dec 2012

If a candy ( wonka chewy sprees) contain egg albumen, would listeria be a cause for concern?

I don't know how the candy is made, but I know they have a long shelf life and stay on shelves for a long time. And all I know about egg albumen, is that it is egg white powder. Thank you so much! :)
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 24 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I do not feel the issue is the candy but they are certain conditions in food and the body which when put together can predispose a person into getting the infection listeria/listeriosis. The disease primarily affects older adults, pregnant women, newborns, and adults with weakened immune systems. However, rarely, persons without these risk factors can also be affected. The risk may be reduced by recommendations for safe food preparation, consumption, and storage.
Sources of listeria infection include (but no limited to):
- Ready-to-eat deli meats and hot dogs
- Refrigerated pâtés or meat spreads
- Unpasteurized (raw) milk and dairy products
- Soft cheese made with unpasteurized milk, such as queso fresco, Feta, Brie, Camembert
- Refrigerated smoked seafood
- Raw sprouts
So I feel you can go ahead and eat your candy with egg albumin without any fears.

Hope I was helpful and feel free to email back.
Dr. Nsah