If a breath test was forty-six, how many units of alcohol would have been consumed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
If a breath test was 46 how many units of alcohol would have been consumed
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A breath test reading and the consumption of alcohol depends on many factors. It depends on-
The rate at which alcohol was taken.
How fast the alcohol was consumed.
Time since consumption of alcohol.
Body weight.
Age and sex.
How fast the body breaks down (metabolizes) the alcohol. Different people metabolize alcohol at different rates.
Strength of alcohol in the drink.
The amount of food already present in the stomach when alcohol was consumed.

A breath test can only help you to know whether the blood alcohol concentration has reached XXXXXXX levels or not. Since metabolism of alcohol depends on many factors, it is difficult to assess how much alcohol was consumed before the test was undertaken.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: If a breath test was forty-six, how many units of alcohol would have been consumed? 2 hours later
This does not answer my question, a female age 51 weight 9st height 5ft 1 inch, I was looking for a rough estimate
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
To have a rough estimate regarding the amount of alcohol consumed, please provide me a few more details-
1. After how much time of consuming the alcohol did you take the breath test.
2. Are you a habitual drinker?
3. Did you consume the alcohol in one go or you sipped it through your meal?
4. What else did you eat after taking the alcohol?
5. Did you take the alcohol on an empty stomach?
For a breath test to be 46, one has to take around 1-2 drinks of whisky empty stomach with minimal snacks. The breath test should have been done around 30 minutes after consuming the alcohol.
This is a very rough estimate. Your answers can help me in giving you a more accurate assessment.

Awaiting your response.