If I have all symptoms of hypothyroid disease; but my

Endocrinologist
Question
If I have all symptoms of hypothyroid disease; but my doctor says my thyroid reading are not abnormal, should I be concerned? Isn't there more than one test that can show a more thorough picture? These symptoms are becoming difficult to function with.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism diagnosis:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
The symptoms you described are suggestive for hypothyroidism but a whole thyroid function evaluation ( TSH, Ft3, Ft4) would exclude it in most of the cases if they result to be within the normal ranges.
In patients like you where the symptoms of hypothyroidism are present and the hormones are normal, reverse T3 is recommended to be checked.
If it is high, or the ratio of Ft3/ reverse T3 is lower than normal it means that hypothyroidism is present.
Consult with your treating physician about checking reverse T3.
Hope the information will help.
kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Follow-up: If I have all symptoms of hypothyroid disease; but my 11 minutes later
Thank you so much for that information! I have never heard of checking the reverse T3. I will pursue an answer further with my doctor and if necessary ask for a referral to a specialist. Thank you again!

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best wishes!

Detailed Answer:
Will be a pleasure to help you further!
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta