If FSH level is high is it necessary to be on menopause stage?

Question
If the FSH level is high is it necessary that I am on menopause stage? I am not experiencing the symptoms such as hot flashes, dry vagina etc
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pre menopausal symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mrs. XXXXXXX
Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Before telling about the values I wish to tell regarding some of the symptoms you have mentioned in history.

Usually the period of onset of menopause is around the age of 45 and before that there will be pre menopausal period in which the the symptoms like delayed periods, prolonged heavy bleeding may be present.

High FSH levels means that the pituitary gland is trying more to stimulate the ovarian follicles. This occurs in poor ovarian reserve or in menopause.

So according to your medical history, lab values and keeping your age in mind, you are in pre menopausal period which is normal at your age.

For my patients with heavy bleeding I usually advice to get D and C and endometrial study to rule out endometrial pathology. So I advice you to consult your gynecologist once to get complete examination.

Hope this clarified your query. Feel free to ask me if any queries and I will be glad to answer them.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: If FSH level is high is it necessary to be on menopause stage? 15 hours later
Is there any remedy to bring fsh, progestrone and estrogen to normal

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Raised FSH is normal at premenopausal age

Detailed Answer:

Increased levels of FSH is a normal process at your age, need not have to worry for that.

We can reduce levels by supplementing hormonal replacement therapy. But for HRT there are few indication. HRT has advantages and side effects too.

Hope I have answered your query. wish you a good health

Follow-up: If FSH level is high is it necessary to be on menopause stage? 1 hour later
I took the ultra sound scanning. It says that I have harmonal imbalance. My endometrial lining in resolved but it is showing POD. What is POD?

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
POD- pouch of XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:

POD means pouch of Douglas; a pouch created by lining peritoneum. BUT as you have mentioned about hormonal imbalance which is also seen in case of PCOD, the structures of ovary needs to be reviewed. It might help if you can upload the complete scan report on this page using the site's uploader.

Follow-up: If FSH level is high is it necessary to be on menopause stage? 7 hours later
I am herewith sending a scanned report of my ultra sound scan

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal study report

Detailed Answer:
Its difficult to comment on photos of scan copy as view is not very clear. and regarding report, its a normal report will slight increase in size of ovaries, which is due to more follicles on it.
need not to worry.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: If FSH level is high is it necessary to be on menopause stage? 10 hours later
Will regular progesterone tablets help in putting down the fsh levels?

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I wouldn't recommend you use progesterone pills.

Detailed Answer:

FSH levels are expected to be a bit higher at this age. Perimenopausal women undergo physical as well as biochemical changes which are normal. I do not treat patients if they are not symptomatic. Therefore I do not recommend you taking progesterone pills. Theoretically however, cyclical use of progesterone will regulate FSH levels.

You can visit your gynecologist if you develop fresh and unusual symptoms. Hormone therapy can be initiated if indicated.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: If FSH level is high is it necessary to be on menopause stage? 9 hours later
I want to reverse the irregular periods and fsh levels. Can I get an appointment to visit the gynacologist in your hospital?

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment not required, can try OC pills

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX
In premenopausal stage irregular periods are common and its a normal physiological phenomenon. Need not worry for it and it doesn't even require treatment.

If your irregular periods are disturbing your routine work, I usually prefer low dose OC pills for my patients with this problem, which can result in regular periods, and reduces FSH levels too and will also serve contraceptive purpose if required. Try OC pills for few months and if your problem not resolved you can consult gynaecologist

Please prescribe the name and the dossage of OC pills

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Triphasic OCP

Detailed Answer:

I prefer triphasic OCP containing ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel 28 tablets pack (like 'trivora 28') for my patients. You can ask your local doctor about this pill or an alternative triphasic contraceptive pills.

How many tablets should I take in a day?

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Single tablet per day

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX
You need to take single tablet per day and daily at same time, take tablets regularly.