Identical twin sister suffer mild leak in the mitral valve. Generic? Should I be concerned?

This is for Dr. Prabhaker Koregol, I wrote to you around 2 weeks ago and I wanted to update yuu on my visit to my primary doctor who is an internist. I had all my bloodwork sent to him which was superb. My total choesterol was 187, HDL 72, LDL 102, Triglyserides 64 and the ratio is 2.6, everything elsse was very good. I had an EKG done in his office and he said it is excellent. I am 72 years old and I do take care of myself health wise, and I eat a healthy diet & exercise 30 min a day. He told me too take 1,000 of vitamin D. I forgot to ask him, if it is necessary for me to have an echocardiogram, because my identical twin sister had it taken, which her doctor wanted her to take, because he heard a slight murmur. The Echo showed a mild leak in the mitral valve, and its nothing to worry about. Is it generic? Do you think I should ask him about if it is necessary for me to get one.

PS Doctor, I rated you excellent.
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 17 days later
welcome to healthcare magic, I am a certified and registered cardiologist,
I read your mail with diligence.
As your blood work and ECG were within normal limits and you does not have any symptoms you need not worry.
Coming to the Echo which is a non invasive test like ultrasound, it evaluates the heart pumping function , valvular heart disease and so many things.
As you are 72 years you need atleast once echo should be done to know the heart pumping function.
Mitral valve leakage in your age group mostly not because of genetic problem, it may be due to degenerative( age related) changes in mitral valve.
Mean while you continue your healthy life style and get echo done.
If you have any further query let me know.
thank you .